Monday, July 16, 2012

I love Avon Bottles!

          So, while we still sit here waiting for the appraisal company to respond to whatever ridiculous questions the banks underwriter seems to have. (insert frustrated sigh here) I thought I would change topics a bit. Anyone who knows me a bit will tell you I try to be a responsible shopper. I try and buy new things made in this country, or if I can't, I get them used. My German car is from an American used car dealership, I shop[ at the Goodwill and Salvo etc. So, today while we were shopping for some summer clothes at the Goodwill shop I came across this beautiful Avon Cape Cod Cruet for a mere $1.99. That got me to thinking, I wonder how many people know how to get the perfume smells out of Avon bottles?I certainly don't. So I thought while I sit here and stew over the fact that my dream house is sitting back on the market and my loan is in limbo, I would do a little research on this quandary.
       
          I have found through the vast resources of About.com and the various other sites on the inter webs, that there are several accepted methods to do this. You either fill the bottle with fresh lemon juice, vodka, rubbing alcohol or white vinegar. You let it sit over night, up to a week, then dump it out and wash it with dish detergent, then allow it to air dry. I am going to try this, and I think the white vinegar is the way to go. The only things I am sure I currently have in my house are the vodka and the white vinegar. Let's be honest, who would want to waste perfectly good vodka cleaning out a perfume bottle? Even if I had lemons, which have been awfully expensive this season, I wouldn't want to put the effort into juicing them unless it resulted in lemonade, and I'm sure my Hubby would agree. I probably have rubbing alcohol somewhere, but by the time I found it I would probably forget why I was looking for it, so I will proceed with the white vinegar. The plan is to leave it in until I get home from work tomorrow, dump it out and see how we're progressing. I'll keep y'all updated!


*Update*- The vinegar completely removed the smell from the cruet itself, but not the stopper, so I placed the stopper in a bowl full of vinegar and plan on leaving it there for a day or so. We'll see what happens.

1 comment:

  1. Sherry Macie SMacie467@aol.comJuly 21, 2012 at 12:42 PM

    I will have to tell my Mom about this Jen because she has a ton of the Cape Cod items and the ones that had the stuff in them still stink! She has so many pieces of them, actually a hutch full! Some pieces are really expensive, especially if you find them with the original packaging.

    ReplyDelete